Walkthrough
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

This is My Memory of First Heartbreak, Which I Can't Quite Piece Back Together

by Jenny Goldstick, Stephen Betts, and Owen Roberts

A graphic memoir exploring the authorís memory of her first heartbreak.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: 21zfhwp32f0so6vp

29th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
Well, "Heartbreak" definitely swings way over to the story side of the story-game spectrum. We experience four little vignettes illustrating episodes from the relationship of Jenny and Sean, ending finally with their breakup. It's all beautifully presented with silhouette figures and speech bubbles, both animated; each vignette ends with a choice of different key objects--mnemonic devices?--to signal which of the other possible vignettes we'll go on to from here.

A short dialogue-based game with incredible graphics, September 28, 2017
This game was entered in IFComp 2016, but disappeared shortly thereafter.

However, lglasser recorded multiple playthroughs, which completely shows the gameplay, as it is a disjoint collection of sequences/videos triggered by clicking on labelled items on a screen.

The game is graphics-heavy, with pure white silhouettes against hand-drawn backgrounds. It also comes with music.

After hearing good things about the game, I was surprised how angsty and profanity-laden the game was. There is a whole genre out there of shocking confessions, which isn't my style, but this story is well done in that genre.

If you enjoyed This is My Memory of First Heartbreak, Which I Can't Quite Piece Back Together...

People who like This is My Memory of First Heartbreak, Which I Can't Quite Piece Back Together also gave high ratings to these games:

An Act of Murder, by Christopher Huang

Niney, by Daniel Spitz
Explore the nature of relationships and identity on a weird train. Author's Comment: "We all ask ourselves, "Who am I?" One of the ways we try to answer this question is by examining the effects we have on other people. We look at our...

Galatea, by Emily Short
Emily Short's description: A conversation with a work of art. "47. Galatea. White Thasos marble. Non-commissioned work by the late Pygmalion of Cyprus. (The artist has since committed suicide.) Originally not an animate. The waking of...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 2:06pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item