Walkthrough
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.

This is My Memory of First Heartbreak, Which I Can't Quite Piece Back Together

by Jenny Goldstick, Stephen Betts, and Owen Roberts

A graphic memoir exploring the authorís memory of her first heartbreak.

First Publication Date: October 1, 2016
TUID: 21zfhwp32f0so6vp

29th Place - 22nd Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2016)

The Breakfast Review
Well, "Heartbreak" definitely swings way over to the story side of the story-game spectrum. We experience four little vignettes illustrating episodes from the relationship of Jenny and Sean, ending finally with their breakup. It's all beautifully presented with silhouette figures and speech bubbles, both animated; each vignette ends with a choice of different key objects--mnemonic devices?--to signal which of the other possible vignettes we'll go on to from here.

A short dialogue-based game with incredible graphics, September 28, 2017
This game was entered in IFComp 2016, but disappeared shortly thereafter.

However, lglasser recorded multiple playthroughs, which completely shows the gameplay, as it is a disjoint collection of sequences/videos triggered by clicking on labelled items on a screen.

The game is graphics-heavy, with pure white silhouettes against hand-drawn backgrounds. It also comes with music.

After hearing good things about the game, I was surprised how angsty and profanity-laden the game was. There is a whole genre out there of shocking confessions, which isn't my style, but this story is well done in that genre.

If you enjoyed This is My Memory of First Heartbreak, Which I Can't Quite Piece Back Together...

People who like This is My Memory of First Heartbreak, Which I Can't Quite Piece Back Together also gave high ratings to these games:

First Things First, by J. Robinson Wheeler
Youíve just arrived at home from your nightly visit to the science and invention section of the local public library, where you spend each night dreaming your dreamy dreams of one day inventing a time travel machine. Tonight, for some...

Blighted Isle, by Eric Eve
Blockade duty in the Bay of Biscay, vile weather, and an unplanned jaunt over the side of the ship into the tossing waves. But instead of drowning, you end up on an island that has no right to be there - and that's just the start of your...

The Guild of Thieves, by Rob Steggles
Steal yourself a world of fantasy WHY BUY THIS GAME WHEN YOU CAN STEAL IT ? Except you can't. Not yet. An amateur like you? Come off it! Now, if you were a fully paid-up member of the notorious Guild of Thieves, things would be...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Doug Orleans on 22 November 2016 at 2:06pm. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item