IFComp 2015 release

Forever Meow

by Moe Zilla

You're a warm cat who's about to have a very bad day...

First Publication Date: October 1, 2015
TUID: 1lz5sz6mxlm9k6op

34th Place - 21st Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2015)

neat cat simulator, June 12, 2017
There are a few tone-(and setting?)-changing plot twists in the game, and the feline protagonist's apparent knowledge of the human world/its surroundings was sometimes jarringly inconsistent from passage to passage.

However, the game's main idea was its strong suit: being a cat and doing cat things. It was a charming experience to see the setting through the eyes of a cat and it was very neat to be forced to figure out what's going on through the simple observations of a animal.

Nicely written, but stressful, June 7, 2017
by Zal (Chicago, IL)
If you do not like depictions of cats in distress, you may have trouble with this game.

Look, I know that sounds silly, but I played this game because I like cats. It is well-written, and the fact that it got me into an unpleasant emotional state is a testament to the vividness of the writing; it's simple, but very effective. What can I say? I'm sensitive.

I got what I believe to be the good ending and I'm too much of a pussy (lol) to go back and see if there are any others.

A short, simple heartwarming choice game about a cat, February 3, 2016
Related reviews: IF Comp 2015
Forever Meow is an IFComp 2015 game. It has an interesting mechanism where you advance the game by clicking a key on the computer or clicking a link, and go back by clicking a permanent button.

The story has plot twists, but the way it starts out is that you're just a cat doing cat things. Throughout the game, you can bat stuff around, meow, hiss, jump on furniture.

This game was a bit simpler than a lot of the other IFComp games, but it made me feel good. I've seen a few people rate it as one of their favorites in the comp, and I can see why.

Recommended for people who like cats (so, quite a few people).

If you enjoyed Forever Meow...

People who like Forever Meow also gave high ratings to these games:

Accidental Character Generator, by caeth
countless possibilities, one terrible reality

Superluminal Vagrant Twin, by C.E.J. Pacian
A text-only space sim. Ply the spaceways. Make five million credits. Buy back your twin. (Superluminal Vagrant Twin is a shallow but broad exploration game.)

Depression Quest, by Zoe Quinn, Patrick Lindsey, Isaac Schankler
"An interactive (non)fiction about living with depression." The player of this multimedia hypertext game is given a series of everyday life events, and has to attempt to manage their illness, relationships, job, and possible treatment....

Forever Meow appears in the following Recommended Lists:

Cat simulators by verityvirtue
Games in which the PC is a cat, or which revolve closely around a particular cat. Generally pleasant games. I have thought about whether I should include Taghairm, but... well.

The following polls include votes for Forever Meow:

games about cats by beetlesack99
are there any

For Your Consideration - XYZZY-eligible innovation uses of 2015 by Brendan Patrick Hennessy
This is for suggesting games released in 2015 which you think might be worth considering for Best Use of Innovation in the XYZZY awards. This is not a zeroth-round nomination. The category will still be text-entry, and games not...

This is version 5 of this page, edited by zeartless on 23 December 2015 at 8:55am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item