Story file

Raising the Flag on Mount Yo Momma

by Juhana Leinonen profile

Humor
2010

Gus is a smug numbskull who doesn't deserve to have the insult battle championship. You are here to take the title from him with the best yo momma insults there are. You just have to find them first.

Raising the Flag on Mount Yo Momma is heavy on puzzles and the average playtime is at around 2-3 hours.

First Publication Date: February 28, 2010
License: Open Source
IFID: 2907F15B-C11B-4200-AAA6-B05D7993663C
TUID: 1iqmpkn009h9gbug

In the Company of Grues
Yo momma is so ugly even dragons wouldn’t choose to eat her
Bravo, Juhana Leinonen! Raising the Flag is yet another great example of a fun IF title that’s well suited for novice players.

Raising the Flag on Mount Yo Mama is a fairly short, entertaining little puzzler, where the humor falls well short of the mark.

Everything unfunny is funny again--eventually, December 27, 2011
by Andrew Schultz (Chicago)
Yo Momma jokes were a big hit over ten years ago. Then they got old. RtF brings them back successfully. As a quest for redemption, at where you look to take down Gus, the reigning insult champion at Club Compass, by digging dirt on him. He's got three ugly secrets. Get personal, and you win. You're helped (vaguely) by Joe Mahma, a legend of the art, an in-game hint system that gives about the right amount of nudges, and the ability to move to a room by typing its name.

All this could smooth over a lot of design mistakes, but I didn't find any. The path towards the end of the game is pretty economical--everyone has one purpose, and it's pretty clear whether you need them to do something or you need to push them out of the way. They're based largely on stereotypes here--there're two bouncers, Gus's ditzy girlfriend, Vincent the bully, Gus's posse, a sleazy guy at the bar, and a nerdy guy. We all know the tropes behind these, and the player should have a good general idea what to do. There are a few Lousy Last Points as well, and those quests are fun, too. There're observations about how silly and shallow clubbing can be. You've probably seen a few, but they're fun to revisit in a new context.

In the end, I felt just a bit sorry for Gus, but I guess show business is pretty cutthroat business, especially when it directly involves who gives the best insults.

The only thing I would add is a (Spoiler - click to show)block swearing rule where Yo Momma so threatening, you're worried what she'd do if she heard you, or something--especially considering the game does a great job avoiding swearing. But that's techie talk, and I probably only thought of this because everything else is implemented. I'm glad the game got expanded from speed-if to a full work, because it was satisfying to play and a great reminder that you don't have to be serious to be clever.

Also, extra points for the author including the source with the game. I learned a lot of details from that (beyond the lists of "Yo Mama" insults--one which works, one which doesn't,) and you will, too. It's clear enough that it can double as a hint-book if the in-game hints aren't enough.

Incredibly Fun, a Perfect Balance of Logic and Humor, May 22, 2011
by Edward Kingfisher
Related reviews: Good, funny, 5, stars, play, this
When I first laid eyes on this beauty, my initial reaction was that it would be long, confusing, and contain large doses of the failed humor we see so often today; but I was pleasantly surprised by what I found.

This game combines incredibly logical puzzles, that you will never regret not figuring out, thanks to the handy, brilliantly working hint system. The jokes and general atmosphere of this game are hilarious, and I never failed to stop laughing a Sleezeball McDouchebag, and of course, the abundant supply of Yo-Mamma jokes.

This was one of the first games I ever played, and it opened a whole new world for me. You never get lost in this game, the story more-or-less follows up, and even if you don't get the puzzles its still fun to just go around messing shit up!

Overall, a must play, even if you are a fan of long, complicated enormous adventures.

A puzzle game in a small club about finding insults, May 17, 2016
In this game, you are in a 3x3 club and must find some dirt on the reigning Yo Momma champion. You have to wander around and try to look at his stuff and talk to his friends to find incriminating things.

This game is really well-polished and descriptive; I didn't find any bugs and everything was good and smooth. The dialogue was clever and witty, the puzzles were fantastic.

This game does contain some kinds of questionable material, since it's based on insulting other people's mothers, and their is some intended (but not completed) violence against women by other people. Overall, though, this was a good game.

If you enjoyed Raising the Flag on Mount Yo Momma...