Nevermore

2000

- Sobol (Russia), January 18, 2017

- Lanternpaw, March 10, 2016

A beginning close to Poe and an ending close to Lovecraft, February 3, 2016

This game gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, the constant hunger issue (or addiciion issue) is annoying, and the big puzzle is a "collect an enormous number of items and decipher the formula for a magic spell" puzzle, which I am terrible at.

This game is loosely based on The Raven, diverging into Lovecraft horror near the end.

On the other hand, I loved the beginning of the game, exploring, not knowing what is going on. But I lost interest about a third of the way through. I read through a transcript to see what kind of things were necessary for the rest of the game. It looked interesting, but hinges on a very difficult puzzle.

I recommend everyone at least start the game, and then see how far your interests take you.

- Magnus W (Írebro, Sweden), January 10, 2016

- Floating Info, June 3, 2015

- Thrax, March 11, 2015

- BlitzWithGuns, December 3, 2014

- Christina Nordlander, August 5, 2013

- DJ (Olalla, Washington), May 9, 2013

Nevermore is IF with marvelous writing and a chilling gothic atmosphere, but until its fundamental design problems are repaired, it will remain as lifeless as Poe's lost Lenore.

You wrote this review - Revise it | Add a comment

- The Xenographer, October 31, 2011

- Walter Sandsquish, February 2, 2011

- Sam Kabo Ashwell (Seattle), February 15, 2010

- Karl Ove Hufthammer (Bergen, Norway), January 14, 2009

- Fra Enrico (Torino, Italy), June 3, 2008

An adaptation of Poe's "The Raven," though a very loose adaptation--the author has embellished considerably on the scene set in the poem. The result is highly imaginative and, in many ways, faithful to the gothic Poe spirit, though it may be difficult to get used to if you're familiar with the poem and expecting the story to track what's in the text of the poem. The puzzles are mostly good, despite some game design sins--there's repetitive death, for one thing, and a bunch of guidebooks whose "consult" routines are randomized. The atmosphere is nicely done, though, and in a Poe adaptation, that's the most important thing. Has a hint menu.

-- Duncan Stevens