never.z5

Nevermore

by Nate Cull

Lovecraftian/Literary
2000

"A short tale of mystery and madness inspired by Poe's "The Raven"." [--blurb from Competition Aught-Zero]

Current Version: Release 10
IFID: ZCODE-10-000928-C5BA
TUID: 0gp3my5d5wi0owtu

Nominee, Best Setting; Nominee, Best Puzzles; Nominee, Best Individual PC - 2000 XYZZY Awards

7th Place - 6th Annual Interactive Fiction Competition (2000)

An adaptation of Poe's "The Raven," though a very loose adaptation--the author has embellished considerably on the scene set in the poem. The result is highly imaginative and, in many ways, faithful to the gothic Poe spirit, though it may be difficult to get used to if you're familiar with the poem and expecting the story to track what's in the text of the poem. The puzzles are mostly good, despite some game design sins--there's repetitive death, for one thing, and a bunch of guidebooks whose "consult" routines are randomized. The atmosphere is nicely done, though, and in a Poe adaptation, that's the most important thing. Has a hint menu.

-- Duncan Stevens

This is sounding more negative than I mean to be, because there were parts of Nevermore that I genuinely enjoyed. The ending, for one thing, is terrific--dark and dripping with irony. (In that respect, quite faithful to Poe himself.) Some of the action turns on flashbacks, which also struck me as genuinely Poeish--a protagonist for whom the past is more real than the present absolutely belongs in this game. [...] Through no fault of the game, however, it didn't really connect with me, and I gave it a 7 in the competition.
-- Duncan Stevens

Described as an interactive gothic, Nevermore has intricate inventory-based puzzles and a spooky tower to explore [...]
-- Dorothy Millard

Nevermore is IF with marvelous writing and a chilling gothic atmosphere, but until its fundamental design problems are repaired, it will remain as lifeless as Poe's lost Lenore.

A beginning close to Poe and an ending close to Lovecraft, February 3, 2016
This game gives me mixed feelings. On one hand, the constant hunger issue (or addiciion issue) is annoying, and the big puzzle is a "collect an enormous number of items and decipher the formula for a magic spell" puzzle, which I am terrible at.

This game is loosely based on The Raven, diverging into Lovecraft horror near the end.

On the other hand, I loved the beginning of the game, exploring, not knowing what is going on. But I lost interest about a third of the way through. I read through a transcript to see what kind of things were necessary for the rest of the game. It looked interesting, but hinges on a very difficult puzzle.

I recommend everyone at least start the game, and then see how far your interests take you.

If you enjoyed Nevermore...

People who like Nevermore also gave high ratings to these games:

The Gostak, by Carl Muckenhoupt
"Finally, here you are. At the delcot of tondam, where doshes deave. But the doshery lutt is crenned with glauds. Glauds! How rorm it would be to pell back to the bewl and distunk them, distunk the whole delcot, let the drokes uncren...

A Dark and Stormy Entry, by Emily Short

Fight For The Glory Of Rome!, by ClickHole
This Roman adventure is just as good whether you�re gay or straight. It�s a thrilling tale of blood and conquest, and your sexuality is completely beside the point.

Nevermore appears in the following Recommended Lists:

A timeline of Lovecraftian horror by MathBrush
Lovecraftian games are oddly overrepresented in IF, both among IF in general, and among great IF games. They seem to be a good fit for the exploratory form of parser IF. Most of these games hit up all of the big-ticket Lovecraft items:...

Noteworthy Games Which Can't Be Played on iOS or the IFDB by Walter Sandsquish

Forgotten Treasures of IFDB by MathBrush
These are games that are great, either in my opinion or in many others, but which have been forgotten. By forgotten, I mean it satisfies the following: 1. Not an IfComp or XYZZY Best Game winner, 2. Not in Best 50 Interactive Fiction...

The following polls include votes for Nevermore:

im looking for a good horror game by nick love
I'm looking for something with a creepy environment. It also has to be very challenging.

forgotten gems by Marius Mller
I'm looking for games that don't show up in the IF histories or recommended lists, for what reason whatsover. Old games that maybe weren't boundary-pushing or noteworthy, but still give you a fun play experience. If you ever thought...

Birds in IF by Wendymoon
What games can you think of with birds in them? What's the bird? Is it important to the game?

This is version 5 of this page, edited by Edward Lacey on 25 March 2013 at 9:20am. - View Update History - Edit This Page - Add a News Item