bluechairs.z5
bluechairs.z5
competition entry
notes.pdf
design document
To view this file, you need an Acrobat Reader for your system.
Story File in Russian *
Contains bluechairsR.z8
Translation by Vyacheslav Dobranov.

Blue Chairs

by Chris Klimas

Surreal
2004

IFIDs:  ZCODE-2-041229-942D
ZCODE-1-040930-2219
TUID: uva1vc6ico5u65zg

Off-Site Reviews

Yet work it does, with more than enough panache to spare. Yes, all of the above problems are inarguably present -- the sequence in the maze-complex or whatever it is does drag on too long, there are some actions I'd never think to do if the walkthrough didn't tell me to, and the whole Dante-and-Beatrice angle made me roll my eyes. But man, it just doesn't matter. I'm willing to concede that a good part of my goodwill towards this game is a result of its peculiar aesthetic, and particularly the author's knack for description, which comes off like Clockwork Orange by way of Freaks and Geeks. [...] The puzzles for the most part live up to the off-kilter yet sharp aesthetic of the prose.
-- Mike Russo

Klimas has a hold of something very powerful -- interactive fiction steeped in surrealism and symbolism. This sort of thing has been tried before, but Blue Chairs is the best realization of it that I've seen.

Page Update History

v.6: 13-Apr-2013 05:29 - Edward Lacey (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
Changed genre, external review links
v.5: 29-Jan-2012 22:07 - Vyacheslav Dobranov