photo201.zip *
photopia.z5
photopia.z5
Competition version
bug.txt
Way to avoid a bug in the competition release
fotopia.z5
Spanish version.
photobw.z5
black and white version
ACgames.zip *
Contains PHOTOPIA.PRC
converted to PalmOS .prc file
Palm OS Application (PalmOS low res devices and later)
photopia.exe

ZCODE-1-981224-9651
TUID: ju778uv5xaswnlpl

Off-Site Reviews

Adventure Gamers
About twenty minutes in, when the series of seemingly disconnected and unordered scenes snaps into place and you understand what is happening, every emotional bone you possess will tingle sharply, and your pounding heart will carry you through to the inevitable conclusion of the story. You will understand, as I did, the emotional impact that a story can have. I have cried each of the three times I have played through Photopia; it is that darn powerful.

Brass Lantern

[...] the overall layout of the story appears to be a complex weave, where you travel along the thread as it makes its way in one direction, turns around and comes back, crossing the previous parts of the weave and then continues. [...] In summary, this game is like an interactive story nestled inside another. A russian doll. A woven russian doll at that.

Gaming Enthusiast
Not your usual adventure game, but if you look for some originality and ingenuity youíve come to the right place.

Necessary Games
Photopia: Not a Mediocre Short Story
Does Photopia deserve to be so hallowed as it is? Quantitatively, that question may be hard to tackle. In my mind, though, the game does, without a doubt, deserve to be hallowed to some degree. It is historically important both as a work of interactive fiction and as a game, for its numerous technical innovations, and for its minimalist interactive component that makes it such a great example of a ďlimiting case game.Ē Whether Photopia succeeds on the affective level is open for debate, but my opinion and your opinion notwithstanding, the fact that it clearly does succeed with so many people is a strong testament to Adam Cadreís ability to innovate and impact all in the same breath.

Play This Thing
Photopia made me cry.

That's not something I say often. I don't think any other work of art has ever affected me to the extent that Photopia has.

PopMatters
As a text adventure, Photopia is a pared down example of such. There are few puzzles, and they donít require much stress on the brain cells. Also, the whole game flows so naturally as a story that it could lead an outside observer to think that the work might be better off as a short story. However, just because a game isnít interested in what is traditionally thought of as gameplay doesnít mean that it isnít utilizing the mediumís specific attributes to its advantage.

Photopia isn't strictly an adventure game, but more of an interactive story, or series of intertwining stories. For the most part I normally do not like this type of game and prefer lots of puzzles to solve. Photopia, however, grabbed my interest from the start.

The colors, like everything else in Photopia, worked beautifully, adding artfully to the overall impact of the story. The work is interactive in other important ways as well. In fact, in many aspects Photopia is a metanarrative about the medium of interactive fiction itself. Again, it wasn't until the end of the story that I understood why it had to be told as interactive fiction. And again, to explain the reason would be too much of a spoiler. I have so much more I want to talk about with Photopia, but I can't talk about it until you've played it. Go and play it, and then we'll talk. I promise, you'll understand why everyone has been so impatient. You'll understand why I loved it, and why I think it's one of the best pieces of interactive fiction ever to be submitted to the competition.

[Reviews by Paul O'Brian, Duncan Stevens, Brian Blackwell and David Ledgard]

Page Update History

v.18: 05-Sep-2014 11:35 - realsonic (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
v.17: 23-Sep-2013 15:38 - Edward Lacey
v.16: 22-Sep-2013 10:36 - Edward Lacey
v.15: 23-May-2013 03:22 - Edward Lacey
v.14: 20-Mar-2013 12:26 - Edward Lacey
v.13: 03-Mar-2013 07:27 - Edward Lacey
Changed description, external review links
v.12: 10-Aug-2010 13:23 - Dave Chapeskie