plant_2.zip *

The Plant

by Michael J. Roberts profile

Espionage/Science Fiction
1998

You're on a business trip with your boss, driving down a deserted highway in the middle of nowhere, when the car breaks down. You set off on foot seeking help, but you soon find yourself in the middle of a shocking conspiracy in a dangerous industrial complex. Can you penetrate the decades-old cover-up and reveal the secrets that might forever change the world?

Language: English (en-US)
First Publication Date: September 30, 1998
IFIDs:  TADS2-A94AFB10D704EF53BA57E9DE95B49422
TADS2-0604401F269363BE743FE9F1C241D3BF
TUID: 77rsl9mezn5iogto

Off-Site Reviews

The Plant feels well-crafted as a whole; bugs are few, the writing is outstanding, and objects, even complex ones, largely do what they're supposed to do. That feeling of polish helps overcome the flaws in the story--or, more accurately, the flaws in the story don't detract much from its enjoyment because the game is so playable as a whole.
-- Duncan Stevens a.k.a. Second April

Probably the thing I liked the most about The Plant was its puzzles. I know there were several other games this year that were focused on puzzles, and some of the puzzles in those games were excellent. However, I liked The Plant's puzzles better precisely because the game wasn't focused on puzzles. Instead, its puzzles were very well integrated into its story, so solving the puzzles really propelled the narrative. It's much more interesting to solve a puzzle when it opens the door to the next piece of the story, rather than being just one of a roomful of puzzles that you have to solve to escape that room. The Plant was probably the only game in this year's competition to give me a feeling similar to what I have when I play Infocom games. I love that feeling of uncovering an exciting story by cleverly putting pieces together, using items in unexpected ways, or doing the right thing at just the right time.

Page Update History

v.4: 27-Aug-2013 05:02 - Edward Lacey (Current Version) - Edit Page - Normal View
Changed external review links